Friday, November 30, 2018

It Finally Feels like Winter


A lot has happened since the last time I've blogged. First, it finally feels like winter in New Orleans (although it did get into the upper 70s today). A little update on the Tigers. We lost, bad. I don't really want to comment on it much further. The Saints snapped their 10 game win streak with a lose against the Dallas Cowboys last night. It has been pretty rough football wise, but all is good. The Saints are still 10-2, they are still Superbowl contenders. Some other (good) news: I have continued my volunteer work with Bridge Hospice. I am now Dr. Cory Cashman's medical scribe and personal assistant. In doing this I provide assistance to Dr. Cashman by taking part in patient visits, tracking and updating medical charts and lab results, recording consultations, and recording documentation in the electronic health records. This experience has allowed me to gain great clinical experience as Dr. Cashman is very knowledgeable and explains various diseases and medications as we go from patient to patient. 

One day volunteering, I saw an elderly man walking in the hallway and asked if he needed any assistance. We immediately struck up a conversation, and his animation startled me. I had never seen someone in a nurse home so full of life, funny, and personable. After our conversation, he thanked me for all I had done and for “spending time talking to an old man like himself.” I was touched by that moment long after he left. I later told Dr. Cashman about this man and he informed me that he was just diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Later, an employee approached me and said that he was told to relay a message to me from the man that my kindness made his day “brighter.” As a volunteer, I’ve always felt I was not making enough of a difference. That day forced me to realize that making an impact can be as simple as striking up a conversation.


This semester is coming to an end pretty soon. I can't believe it has already been four months since I have started this program. I am thankful for all of the opportunities I have been giving. Now pray for me as I begin to start studying for the final and that I hear back from one of the medical schools I applied to. As always, I will keep y'all posted. See you at the end of December.  

Total # of Service Hours: 37 Hours 

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's All Folks

For everyone who has been following my blog, this is it. I took my last every test at Tulane on Monday. Graduation is in 18 days, and I coul...